What is Young Environmentalists education?
Environmental education teaches students about how the planet's physical and biological systems work, and how we can create a more sustainable future.
In India, as a country we have always been dedicated to our environment, worshipped our elements and have been dependant on the environment.
Article 48 -A of the Indian constitution has stressed on environment awareness and protection-"take measures to protect and improve the environment and to safeguard the forests and wildlife of the country” ().
It also makes it a -“fundamental duty of every citizen to protect and improve the natural environment including forest, lakes, rivers and wildlife and to have ecological compassing for the living creatures” (Article 51 A (g)).
Therefore the Young Environmentalists Programme believes that Environmental education is a process aimed at creating awareness in the youth rather than preaching to the population. Environment education aims at-
· Basic details and understanding of the environment and its relationship with man and biodiversity;learning through a fun way for Junior students.
· Social and civic values which are in tandem with environmental quality;
· Skills to solve environmental problems;
· Ability to evaluate environmental measures and education programmes;
· A sense of responsibility and urgency towards the environment so as to ensure appropriate actions to solve environmental problems at high school levels.
· To enable the community to understand the interdependence of all the life on this planet and how to sustain it through our green living habits.
· To increase people’s awareness of the economic, political, social, cultural, technological and environmental forces which foster sustainable development by networking together.